Consuming excess sugar & processed carbs and the resulting high blood sugar and insulin affects so much more than just our waistline.
You don’t just “burn off sugar” in the gym. Sugar and high blood sugar/insulin have many detrimental effects on our organs and our body.
The point of this post is to inform you & motivate you to prioritize your health because it is our greatest wealth and unfortunately, there’s no magic pill we can take to have optimal health.
We must prioritize our health and do the work if we want to live the life of our dreams.
Sugar is highly addictive and controlling blood sugar comes down to a lot more than just our diet.
Here are just some of the effects on our bodies:
1. Your brain on sugar- Sugar is highly addictive. Blood sugar issues can lead to brain fog, anxiety, headaches, low energy levels, dizziness, irritability, cravings and more. Over the long term, can contribute to the development of cognitive decline, memory loss, an even Alzheimers.
2. Your skin on sugar- Sugar increases insulin which increases inflammation, making conditions like acne, rosacea, psoriasis, and eczema worse. It accelerates aging and causes wrinkles by breaking down collagen. It also worsens allergic skin reactions.
3. Your eyes on sugar- High blood sugar negatively affects every single blood vessels in our bodies. The eye has tons of small blood vessels. High blood sugar can lead to problems like blurry vision, cataracts, glaucoma, and retinopathy. Diabetes is the primary cause of blindness in adults.
4. Your mouth on sugar- Sugar consumption leads to tooth decay and gum disease. Poor oral health can lead to disease as we swallow the pathogens and they enter our bodies. These bad bacteria can contribute to leaky gut, heart disease and poor health.
5. Your heart on sugar- Too much sugar hardens arteries and damages heart tissue. Sugar depletes minerals like magnesium that are essential to cardiovascular health. Insulin resistance leads to hypertension and heart disease.
6. Your gut on sugar- Sugar feeds pathogens, bad bacteria causing an overgrowth of bacteria, inflammatory bacteria and yeast. This imbalance of good and bad bacteria leads to decreased immunity, systemic inflammation and reduced nutrient absorption. It also leads to increased sugar cravings, which perpetuates the cycle.
Luckily, my signature program Blood Sugar Mastery opens for enrollment next month in April!
In Blood Sugar Mastery, you get a personalized, step-by-step blueprint to optimizing your blood sugar. You’ll learn what to eat to make you feel great and get twice weekly coaching calls for accountability and personalized coaching because there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to blood sugar or health.